At the last meeting of the Hog’s Back ARC we did a brief comparison of the Buddipole and Superantennas MP-1 dipole. Nothing scientific, but a few things from working side by side:
- Setup times similar for both.
- MP-1 is a little larger when packed and heavier, but not enough to be a problem on most /p operations.
- Buddipole seemed to tune quicker, but more fiddly to set tuning with clips on coil.
- When assembled the MP-1 was significantly larger.
- Received Signals were about 10-15dB higher on the MP-1 on 40m. (S9 vs almost S9+20)
- Transmitted signals didn’t seem to be getting out well on either antenna, but this matched our expectation that they would perform best on 20m and up.