I’m considering getting an ebook reader and I’m finding the technology hasn’t quite matured yet. My specification list:
- Should fold to the size and weight of a paperback book. Max 1.5″ thick when folded.
- Opens out to reveal two screens with the size and resolution of a printed page in full colour.
- Readable from bright sunlight to a dark room.
- Global 3G and Wifi Access for ~ £2.50/month for downloading new books.
- Ability to trade in back catalog of paper books for non-DRM ebook versions at zero cost.
- Oh, and no DRM on downloads either. If I bought it, it’s mine for life.
- Should run for ~40hrs of reading (without backlight) on a single charge.
- 24 hr replacement if it fails in the first 3 years.
- Page redraw ~0.1 seconds.
Come on guys. I’m not asking much. I’d pay £15/month for unlimited data if it was a general purpose device like an iPad into the bargain.